Grandpa Joe drove the boys around.
And everyone rode whatever they wanted.
Nate was pretty constantly worried about running out of gas. He did put hours on that motorcycle, but after about the third time he asked me for a refill, I remembered that Nate has a fear of running out of gas. We ran out of gas on the way to Star Valley last winter and it has haunted him. He casually asks if we have enough gas to get where we're going nearly every time we get in the car. He's always checking the gas gauge and he reminds me to fill up when he sees that we have a quarter of a tank left. I didn't realize that his fear would bleed into motorcycles too. As soon as we figured that out, Grandpa Joe assured him that he'd come out in the mule and fill him up if he ran out of gas in the field. His worries assuaged, he resumed riding his laps around and around and over the little jumps. He didn't really stop for hours.
Jason was funny to watch too. He likes speed...
We rode up to Cottonwood Lake too.
The lake is super cold. Jason didn't waste any time in going in...shoes and socks didn't seem to matter.
When we went to the river, Mike dared us to walk to the logs and back. I was mocking the children for thinking it was too cold. I got in to show them how to do it and went there and back. However tough I might have looked on the outside, my feet were numb by the time I got back to shore. That water was fresh from snow...and so cold.
My new favorite method of taking pictures of kids on wheelers is evident in this post. :)
Look at that cute little hand. He's not strong enough to control the steering, but he has speed control down.
I have a picture of Mike and I on this bridge shortly before we got engaged. It was nearly the same weekend 17 years ago.
I figured out the timer feature on my camera and made the kids suffer though several failed attempts to get a family picture there. A whole lot can happen in 17 years. The Sue and Mike of all those years ago was totally carefree. This Sue and Mike endured moments of whiny children and arguments over who got to ride what motorized vehicle. Allie was also super grumpy about the number of flies buzzing around our heads. Ah well, life is good.
We rode back down past the lake and went to the water pump. We filled our water bottles and played there for a little while so that Mike and Jake could ride up on a more intense ride for a little while.
Crazy that Jake is old enough to take more technical rides.
Nate took his turn driving the wheeler on the way back home. Allie was on the little motorcycle that she had crashed the month before and she was a bit hesitant to go fast. Nate was going crazy behind her because he was itching to ride that motorcycle. When they finally traded, he left us in dust.
We went back to the river and the kids floated down for hours.
They still love Helen's chalk string boats.
And the new addition of kayaks that are tied to the bridge.
They got sick of bumping their bums on the rocks, so they got smart about their life jackets.
I sat in the shade and visited with Joe and Helen.
I also marveled at the lily white legs of the King of Smoot.
That night, Dixie showed up with some fountains. It was a really nice break for me to sit and watch lovely fountain fireworks and not have to worry that my kids were going to blow their hands off with the ones they had been lighting.
Then, Mike taught them how to hold them out like flame throwers...
Star Valley nights are the best.
Nate's little heart was broken because he hadn't been able to light very many on his own, so right before bed, we let him light one more.
It was a great day and one for the books...
No comments:
Post a Comment