Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Derby Car

Mike has been working with the young men of the ward for a while now and he decided that he wanted to get them going on a project...a demolition derby car project.  He has great memories of working on derby cars with his dad as a kid and thought it would be fun to get going with some of the boys in our ward. 
At first, I resisted.  Who does that?  He went ahead with all the plans though and found a car and got started.  Now I realize that it really was a great idea.  They have a great turn out of kids on the nights they work on the car. 
I don't think I took any "before" pictures, and for that, I am disappointed in myself.
 

When Mike brings the car home to work on it, our kids always get to help.  This day, Jake was breaking out the tail lights.  Allie has torn off trim.  Nate learned to say "derby car" and says it often.

When the boys come over, it's pretty chaotic.


On this day, they were using a cutting torch and breaking out all the glass.  The cutting torch filled our house with smoke.  The glass left our garage littered with tiny shards that seem to find their way into the house too.  Just the other day, I picked a piece out of my foot.
It's complete chaos, but it's great for boys.  I hope they all love it and remember it as a fun project.


I'll have to keep you updated on the progress.

No comments: