Monday, November 10, 2014

The Library

Jason and Nate love going to the library.  We have access to a Logan Library card, and they have a huge selection of audio books, so we go there a lot.  The other day, I let Jason and Nate go ahead of me and watched as they did all their favorite things and I was wishing for a camera.  I remember going to the library with Allie and Jake when they were little and they did the same things.  I wanted to capture the memory, so I made sure to bring my camera the next time we went.  It makes me happy to look at these pictures because they represent at least a hundred trips to the library with all the kids.  I know that they grow up all too fast and pretty soon, they'll just walk through the doors next to me instead of running with wild abandon.  It happened with Allie and Jake.  Every time we went this summer, they were walking calmly and quietly.  It was certainly nice, but these wild boys are fun too.  I wanted to capture the happiness that I feel as we do some of my favorite everyday things. 


As soon as they get free of car seats and after we hold hands as we cross the parking lot, they run to this flower bed and walk around it...trying to stay balanced.




Then, they run off to the front door.  They race to the mat and scream "open sesame!"



...and before I can even catch up, they are through the doors and running down the halls.


They have to climb up each bench and jump off the other side.  It really throws them for a loop if someone is sitting on the bench, but that's rare.


Then, they fight over who gets to return the books. Nate asks if it's supposed to go in the "big one or the little one" and gets all thrown off when we are returning a kids book that came with an audio cd.
We try and make it equal, but Nate hurries through his stack and is always sad when Jason still has some left over, just because he's slower.  Sometimes, there will be someone waiting for the book return who will give their stack to us and it is a true act of kindness for them to let those boys put in more.  Sometimes I think I'll just check out books we don't want, just so we can send them down the chute on the way out.  I always forget.



Inside the library isn't as fun.  Jason has a hard time wanting to stay by me and they both want control of the mouse at the computer.  Sometimes there are other kids at the computers and it's hard to understand about waiting your turn when you're just barely 2.  I never want to stay as long as them and there is usually a scene of dragging and screaming on the way out, so I didn't take any pictures of that.
Once we get out the door, there is more running and jumping...and their favorite part is coming up, so they are super excited...



Jason still likes for me to hold his hand as he jumps off the edge, so he waits for me to catch up.

Then it's "open sesame!" again...


...and onto the grates!  It's their favorite part and they could run along these things for a solid hour if I let them.




I usually have to offer the promise of a snack in the car to get them to get off the grates and back on the path.
That's when it sinks in for Jason...


...he's about to be confined again and he hates that.


It's too bad it always has to end like that.  I wish he'd just get in happily and then it wouldn't feel like we ruined the whole event, but I know that this will end too.  It won't be long before he just gets in like Nate and we'll be on our way.  For now, I took this picture so when he's older, he can see what a turkey he was.  :)

I really do feel blessed to be a mother to these kids of mine.  There are so many great moments throughout the day that make me happy.  I'm glad that I can be at home with them.  I love watching them learn and grow.  It is a great life, that's for sure.

1 comment:

parkhurstparty.blogspot.com said...

Looks like they have a blast when they go! Fun memory making in the works!