Friday, February 9, 2018

Conversation on the way to preschool...

I had Jason's friend and his older sister in the car this time and we got talking about what we want to be when we grow up.  Finn told me he wants to be a doctor, "the kind who gives needles to people".  Jason said he wants to be a ninja.  It turned into this conversation...

Me:  What do you want to be when you grow up Sage?

Sage:  I don't know.

Me:  You could be a ninja like Jason!

Jason: No, she can't be a ninja!  She's a girl and girls can't be ninjas!  

Me:  Are you sure girls can't be ninjas?  

Jason:  Yes, I'm sure.  They can't be ninjas but they can be ninja instructors.  

Me:  Ok Sage, I guess you can't be a ninja, but you can be an instructor.  

Sage:  (laughing) Ok.

Me:  It will be interesting to see you as a ninja Jason, because you're probably going to be big and tall some day and ninjas are usually small and quick.

Jason:  I will be a big and tall ninja because you have to be big and tall to punch your enemy.

Me:  I think ninjas know how to fight without using their strength.  I really think it might be hard for you to do flips all over because you'll be so tall.  

Jason:  Jake is a good size for a ninja and he's a teenager.  I'll just be a teenager ninja.  But Sage won't want to be a ninja because she won't want to go so far away.  China is too far away.

Sage:  But you're going.  Isn't it too far for you?

Jason:  No.  I'm just going to go for a little while and I'll be ok.  But you won't want to go there because it's too far to walk.  

Sage:  How are you going to get there?  

Jason:  I'm just going to drive.  When I get older.

Finn:  Max can drive (his older brother).

Jason:  Max won't want to be a ninja because it's too far to drive.

Sage:  Didn't you just say you were going to drive there?

Jason:  Yeah, but it's not too far for me to drive because I'm going to drive a minivan.  Minivans have lots of gas and Max will run out of gas in his car, but I won't because I'm going to be in a minivan.


What we have learned from this story...You can't be a ninja if you are a girl.  Jason is going to be a super tall minivan driving ninja in China.