Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A Conversation About An Owl Family...

The deadline for the Great American Award was looming and Allie was getting pretty stressed out.  We went all around in circles about quitting, and trying again, and quitting.  We are happy to say that she pushed through it and finally passed off things hours before the deadline. 



While we were out on our neighborhood walk memorizing presidents, and the Oath of Allegiance, we discovered a family of owls. 

We went home to get the camera and got a few pictures.  I need to go back with my zoom lens because they just look like blobs in the tree with these pictures, but the story is funny, so that's why I am writing about it even with bad pictures.





On our first discovery of the family, we could see the big nest and three owls perched on various branches of the tree.  We stood close by watching and waiting for something to happen, and I could hear babies.  I told Allie that I thought there were babies there, and that's when we went back to get the camera. 
In our next visits, we discovered that there are indeed 2 little babies and they are so cute.  We've seen them in binoculars. 
Here is our conversation...

Allie:  I wonder who that third owl was.  There's a Mom and a Dad, and the two babies, but who is the third one?

Me:  I know! 

Allie:  I wonder if it's an older baby that's all grown up.

Me:  Maybe.  One that keeps coming back to hang out?

Allie:  Oh, I know!  It's the grandma.  She came to help the momma out with her babies.  You know, like how Grandma Johnson always came to help with the babies when you had them!

Me:  (laughing)  I bet that's what it is for sure.



No comments: