Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day

I had a wonderful Mother's Day!  I had high hopes of getting a nice picture of all of us together after church, but it didn't happen that way.
As a back story, Jason woke up on Friday with a sore jaw.  He complained about it when I was combing his hair, and I felt around on his face and found a marble sized lump on his jaw.  We called the doctor and were told it was probably just a swollen lymph node.  They advised us to watch and wait.  If he had a fever, or if it was red and hot, or if it moved to other lymph nodes, then we should come in.  We watched it and everything was fine.  He was happy and active and had no signs of distress.
I went down to Orem on Saturday morning.  I went kid free.  The drive was rainy, so the canyon was beautiful.  The clouds were low and everything had exploded in all shades of green.  It was seriously one of the most beautiful scenes I've driven through.  I loved the whole ride.
I got to my mom's house and we weeded her fire pit and worked on some things in her yard.  I felt good about my contribution.  We also went to the City Center Temple in Provo and did a session.  It was so nice to be there with my Momma.  I love that Mom of mine.  She is awesome.

After the temple, we met up with Lori for dinner.  We had some good food and shopped around for a bit.  I headed back home through another crazy rain/wind/hail storm.  I had a good book to listen to, so once again, it was a great drive.  I really enjoy my quiet time in the car.  I love having company, but I also just really like to drive and listen to a book.
I got home to find that Mike and the kids had weeded out our flower beds and planted several flowers too.  What a good family.
I went to bed, only to be awoken several times in the night.  Allie came in the early morning hours feeling stressed out, and both Jason and Nate came in alternately.  I finally finished out my night in the boy's empty bedroom.  Nothing like a sleepless night to remind you that you are a mother.
Sunday morning, Jason's face was really getting swollen.  It wasn't just on the one side anymore either.  He didn't have a fever, so I figured we'd just give it the day and go into the doctor on Monday.  We went to church.
I was conducting in RS and a teary Jason came wandering in.  He could barely move his head and he was in so much pain.  He wanted to go home.  As soon as I finished conducting, I took him home to change into comfy clothes and then into Instacare.


He was pretty sad.  He was worried about the family because we left them at church and they didn't have a ride home.  He was worried about getting a shot, he was worried that the doctor would touch his face and it would hurt.  It was all just so stressful for him.  This is his picture after the doctor left the room.  He was so relieved...no shots, gentle hands, and a text from dad letting us know he had gotten a ride home.
No real diagnosis.  It wasn't strep, but we got a prescription of antibiotics in case it was something bacterial.
We went home for more lounging around.
The kids were all cute with their gifts.


 Jason had filled out a questionaire about me and gave me some art work and smelling bath salts.


 Nate felt a bit cheated because he filled out the same questionaire as Jason and "Jason stole my gift!"  They had different answers though, so that made it all better.

Allie wrote me some nice notes, made paper flowers, and a cute little fluffy ball to hang from my car mirror.  In her notes, she told me she was grateful for my help with the Great American award.  I swear, that award deserves a companion award for the Mom or Dad that helped their child learn the info.


I got a text from Jake's Sunday School teacher right before I opened his gift.  It was an embarrassing reminder that kids are sometimes dorks, and that's all part of being a Mother.  He gave me some coupons, redeemable for chores and things.  He gave me a set of earrings, and he also wrote me a sweet letter that brought tears to my eyes.  Mike totally cracked up and said "that's the key right there Jake.  You did something stupid, but Mom really likes letters, and that's how you can dig yourself out".

The kids did the dishes and cleaned up after dinner.  They were all just really good.  I love being a mom to these crazy beasts.  I worry that I am doing the right things, but I have decided that as long as they know I love them, all that I do is going to have to be enough.
I am so grateful for all the mothers in my life and in my kids lives.  We have been blessed with so many.  Happy Mother's day!

No comments: