Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Quick Trip

Mike doesn't get much time off in the summer, so when we have time, we snag it.  On Thursday night, Mike texted "10 hours to Mount Rushmore.  What do you think?"  The following conversation included snippets of my stress about not being there for my calling on Sunday, and that I had volunteered to chaperone the field trip at school on Friday, and could the motor home really make it?  We decided just to figure it all out.  I told people I wouldn't be there on Sunday and then spent Thursday night getting things loaded into the motor home so we could take off after I got done with the field trip the next day.  


 We drove until we couldn't drive any more and then woke up and drove some more.  We got to Devil's Tower pretty early the next morning.  It was amazing to see.


It really just comes from no where.








There was a fun park at the KOA next to the tower, so we played for a little while.
The Leprechaun had an unexplained loss of power the night before, so we couldn't use the pump or any lights.  Mike tried to get it fixed, and after plugging it in at the KOA for a minute, it re-set and we were on our way again.



We made it to Mount Rushmore just a few hours later.  It's smaller than I remembered as a kid.


We loved the video telling us about building the monument.  The kids liked the visitor's center.  You could select a picture and then watch it blow up when you pushed down on the dynamite detonator.  90 percent of the monument was created with dynamite blasts.  That was really interesting to me.  They had it down to a very precise method.
I found it incredible that no one died while building the monument.  We watched stories about some of the workers and it was just really cool.


Allie was excited to see part of the Gettysburg Address on the wall "it was the hardest part for me to memorize too!"
So we got a picture.



It's crazy that they would do this to a perfectly beautiful mountain.  The tree hugger in me cringes, but it is pretty cool to see.


 We found Utah on one of the pillars outside the visitor's center.




It was hot, but it was a beautiful day.
I hope my kids will remember going to see Mount Rushmore.  It's pretty incredible.

No comments: