Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Aunt Mary's Pool

We took off for our vacation to McCall on Sunday evening.  We made it to my Aunt Mary's house and then we flopped.  I tried to sleep, but I woke up and looked at my phone to check the clock and I saw a message from Mike saying that Charlie had escaped the dog sitter's house and came back home.
Mike had to work early Monday morning, so we left Charlie with the people he was going to stay with on Sunday night.  They have a doggy door and a fully fenced back yard, so they thought it was fine to let him roam free.  I guess he found his way under a gap in the fence and came home, yipping at every door until he got an answer.  It was 2 a.m. and Mike thought he was dreaming of Charlie's yipping and finally woke to find that it wasn't a dream.

After I saw that text, I couldn't settle down.  What to do?  If he was going to escape, he'd be annoying for the dog sitter and possibly dead by the side of the road before the week was over.  I didn't know if they were out looking for Charlie Houdini, or if they even knew he was gone.  It was just worrisome.
I had a conversation with Mike and we tried to think of possibilities of what to do.  We finally just decided to take him back and give it another try.  Hoping that now that they know he escapes, they'd watch him close.  Dang dog ownership.

When all the others woke up, we had a few hours to kill before we could check into our place in McCall, so we swam in Aunt Mary's pool.


I included this picture of Jake as proof that "sometimes" he is the instigator when the littles "get hit" and cry.  I'm sure they cry for other reasons sometimes, but the fist on the way to Nathan is proof that he's not always as innocent as he claims to be and sometimes they are crying because he hit them.  Imagine that.

Jason is still a fan of peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  It's a good thing that his mom knows that he is partial to that and always makes sure to pack it (along with the kind of bread he likes) so that when we find ourselves with a nice hostess who cooked pancakes and all the fixings, he doesn't have to get super sad because he's so hungry and there's "nothing" to eat.

The littles swam in the pool for hours and didn't want to get out for anything.  



Aunt Mary had cool floaties.  Jason named this killer whale the pigeon of the sea.  The aligator was named Allie.  So creative.  :)

It was a great start to our vacation.  Leaving home was hard.  A man in our ward died and I knew I'd be gone for all of the stuff that I needed to be there for.  I was worried about Charlie.  I was worried about the mess I left (in our haste to pack and get going).  I was worried about how the coming weeks would be as the kids got their tonsils out and then went to school.
I can worry my little head off, but I knew I needed to just let it all go.  I couldn't do anything about any of those things right now.  So, I let it go.
I watched my kids in the pool and I laughed at their cuteness.
Life is good.

No comments: