It had been a long time since I cleaned out my freezers and identified the food inside. Sometimes things get lost in the depths of the chest freezer and we forget about them until it's too late.
So, I emptied everything out and took an inventory of all the stuff. I discovered an entire turkey that needed to be used. So I put it in the garage to slowly thaw and this week was the time to cook it.
I wanted to see how it would turn out in our pellet grill and all the "how to" instructions said to brine it first.
It was late at night when I remembered that I needed to get the turkey in the brine so I could cook it the next day. I mixed up the ingredients, let it boil, and then I set it outside to cool.
All this time, Charlie was down in Jake's bed, sleeping. The broth smelled good though, and pretty soon, he came creeping up the stairs, sniffing and wondering where all the good smells were coming from and if he could get in on some of that...
It didn't take long for his nose to take him to the screen door.
He looked, and looked, and then sniffed and whined. He turned to me for help.
I had to laugh. I think it smelled a whole lot better than it was in real life because it had a lot of salt in it. I didn't ever let him taste it though...this is as close as he got.
In other news, the turkey was delicious. It took a little over 3 hours to smoke and the brine made it really tender and juicy. The kids inhaled it.
No comments:
Post a Comment