Wednesday, January 1, 2020

We Jumped Out of a Window

Jason used to say that all the time when he was younger because he loved that line in Big Hero 6. 
As the floor guy was finishing up the last two days, we had to climb in and out of our window to get into the house.  It was fun for the younger kids, a bit painful and awkward for me and Mike.  I guess sneaking in and out of windows is for the young.




It's all ok now though because the floor is finished, and it's beautiful.  It's like it was when we first put it in.  It's amazing the work that went into it.  The guy we hired was so good.  I expected to clean up every surface after he came because I thought sanding wood in a furnished house would be a disaster, but even after I peeled up the plastic, there wasn't even a dust line where the plastic had been.  It's crazy!  On Monday, he came in with an air dolly and lifted the fridge up with air so we could slide it into place without rolling it.  We were super impressed. 
Allie can't contain herself and has been twirling and spinning all over the smooth surface.  Nathan has been slipping and sliding all over the place making us all a bit nuts.  Jake has had a few unintentional slides, and Jason's been pretty chill about it all.


Mike and I are a bit of a zoo.  Every time Mike hands a kid a plate or a fork, he gives them a huge lecture about not dropping things.  When the wood was raw, and we were still using the kitchen,  he lived in fear that one of the kids would drop a gallon of red Kool-aid on the floor...it didn't matter than we haven't had a gallon of red Kool-aid anywhere near our kitchen in more years than I can remember. 
Charlie ran up the stairs minutes after the man put the first coat of sealant on.  I screamed at him and he stopped and plopped down in terror at the top of the stairs.  Luckily, he only left one tiny paw print in the finish and even that came out with the first buffing.  But since then, Mike and I were super vigilant about blocking off the stairs and keeping him far away.  Mike kept repeating that he'd play "Charlie go bye, bye" if he walked across the floor and left footprints in the finish.  The kids kept him in the basement in constant fear of his life.  Now that he can roam freely, Charlie still seems a bit nervous of the floor. 

Now that everything is finished, I can start to put our lives back together.  We've been living in a messy state for so long that I'm starting to go a bit nuts.  It's all so nice and new though and I'm completely happy with the end result.  It's just been a bit rough getting to this point.

But, it's a beautiful house. 
Life is good.

No comments: