Mike came home from work on Tuesday and told the kids to come into the kitchen. He said he had a gift. He said he got something for Sam's birthday. Then he brought in this wrapped box and Allie fell to the floor crying. Jake opened the box and there was a super cute puppy inside. We could not believe what we were seeing. We have wanted a dog for a long time. Mike has always been a firm "no". The last year or so, we've increased the begging. I figured I was home and the kids were older...now is a good time to get a dog. I have time to train it and the kids are old enough to really enjoy having a pet. I just remember how much I loved our family pet, Lacy, and I wanted that for our kids.
Mike has anxiety around dogs. He hates barking. He just isn't a fan. I researched breeds and thought that if we got a Morkie, we could be okay. Our neighbor has one and he is such a good dog. He rarely barks and he is just so happy and friendly. I just knew that if I was vigilant in training, we could make a dog be like Buddy across the street. So, I found myself looking on KSL for Morkies and then I'd beg Mike. He'd give me indications of opening the door to the idea and then I ran with it. I had a dog picked out and told Mike I was going to bring it home. He finally asked me nicely to drop the dog begging. It was making him feel like crap, but he just couldn't do it.
I was sad and didn't understand, but I went to the two main beggars (Allie and Jake) and told them we had to drop it. I explained that dogs give their dad anxiety and that it's just mean for us to keep begging him and making him feel bad for not caving in. Allie was really sad, but we all agreed to give it a year of no begging and see how things turned out. Fast Sunday was coming up, and Allie decided to fast and pray that Mike's heart would be softened about a dog. Mike was annoyed and said that there were way more important things to fast about. I told her she could pray about it, but that she also needed to pray that she would be okay not getting a dog. Something must have worked, because two weeks later, Mike showed up with this cute face.
There was so much excitement at our house.
We took him outside and fought over who got to hold him. Allie and I must have said a dozen times each "I can't believe this is happening!" and "is this for real!?"
Look at that cute face!
It didn't take long for neighbors to begin to accumulate.
There were shouts of "he's so cute!" and "I can't believe Mike got you a dog!"
We are still in a bit of shock. We are also completely smitten. We love him so much. We tried to settle on a name. Everyone had an input. I wanted him to be Hagrid because it's such a great oxymoron...plus he's completely hairy.
Allie and I liked Ollie and Oliver. Jake vetoed that.
The littles liked Chewy...Allie and I vetoed that.
I liked Scout or Fang.
Mike liked Rocky.
In the end, we all liked Charlie. So, here we have Charlie Hagrid Schwab. The cutest puppy ever. He's a Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie). He weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces and will grow to be about 8 pounds. He is so sweet. We know it won't last forever. We know we are in for puppy pee on the floor and chewed up homework and favorite shoes, but right now, we are convinced that sweet Charlie can do no wrong. He is the best Sam birthday present ever. Welcome to the family Charlie! We already love you so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment