Monday, September 10, 2018

Peach Days

Our Saturday stretched before us.  I had 2 boxes of peaches that had been waiting patiently for me to deal with, and Mike wanted to work in the garage.  Then, an alarm went off on my phone reminding me that Allie had a volleyball game.  Thank heavens for my phone alarms.  Otherwise, I'd miss a whole lot of things.  :)

We took Allie to her game.  I left the littles with Jake and Mike and I were enjoying the peace of sitting somewhere without worrying that a child is going to fall off the bleachers or dart onto the court.  Volleyball is new to Allie, but we hope it becomes a new thing for her.  It was so fun to watch!

About half way through the second game, my phone rang.  This is the following conversation...

Nate: (worried) "Mom, when are you coming home?  Jason is hurt and bleeding and I don't know what to do."  

Me:  Where's Jake?

Nate:  He went off to play with friends.  He told us to stay in the house, but Jason stubbed his toe and it started to bleed.  Then he dropped a gun on it and now it's bleeding even more.

Me:  He dropped a gun on it?

Nate: Yes.  What should I do?

Me: Have him go put his foot in the sink so he doesn't bleed on the carpet.  Then go get him a bandaid from the hall closet.  Daddy will be there in a minute.  Can you do that?

Nate:  Yes.

Me:  I'm so sorry you have to deal with this alone.  Daddy will be there ok?

Nate:  Ok.

Then I hung up the phone and told Mike to go help the boys.  He was mad that Jake had left them, but I had given Jake permission to go play with friends if they came over to get him.  I said to turn the tv on for the boys and that we'd be back soon.  I couldn't have imagined that something would have happened to them in the few minutes it would take for one of us to get home...
What Jake didn't do, is let me know that he was leaving.  So, we had no idea that the boys were home alone.

As Mike walked off, the friend next to me said "your son dropped a gun on his foot?"  I knew it had sounded terrible.  My two boys home without Jake...a bloody foot...a gun...  :)

I knew that it was a nerf gun, but I could see how the conversation might have sounded scary for someone listening in.  We had a good laugh about it as Allie finished off her game.  We got a ride home with our neighbor and found that all was well when we got home.  Jason's foot didn't have any evidence of the earlier gun trauma and they were all happily playing.  It was a funny story though.

 We all got home and had lunch.  I was finding anything to do to avoid dealing with the boxes of peaches, so when Mike suggested we drive the old car down to Brigham City for Peach Days, I was up for it.  We thought about leaving the littles with the olders, but Jake was still out and Allie wanted to ride her bike to Subway for lunch with her friends.  We didn't want any gun incidences while we were gone, so we loaded the littles in the car with us.  I don't know why I don't have any pictures of the old car, but it was a really nice drive.  The leaves are starting to turn in the canyon.

The boys enjoyed looking at the cars and trucks.

I ran into my dad's good friend Glen.  I knew he'd be there.  He always is.  My dad knew him through their love of Hudson's and they went on countless trips to bring home treasures.  It's always a bit emotional for me to see him and know that my dad isn't here. 

The boys were sick of the cars after just a little while.  They were begging to ride carnival rides.  We went over to check them out, only to find that the line to buy tickets was crazy long.  We broke their little hearts when we said no to the rides and drove home.  I hope they had a good time anyway.


It was a nice day.  I worked on the peaches well into the night, but I got them done and still had fun with the family. 
Life is good.

No comments: