Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Happy Birthday Dad!

When I was looking at the wedding pictures so I could post about our anniversary, I decided to get these ones out too.  I love my dad and it's fun to see these pictures.  I remember him sitting down on the gazebo (that he built for my wedding reception) and asking the photographer if he could get a few pictures with just me.  He told me he wanted one of me kissing him on the cheek...

 At that point, we both got a little teary as we thought about how much we love each other.
...and then, he asked her to take one where he was just looking at me and I was looking at the camera.


He used to brag about me to complete strangers, or anyone who would listen.  He'd say "this is my daughter Sue.  Isn't she just as pretty as a picture?"  But "pretty" was "perdy"  
He was so proud of his kids and he thought we were the most perfect, beautiful, handsome, smart, kind, etc. kids on earth.  
I guess I like these pictures so much because I can see that pride and remember how he used to cry when he'd look at me and he'd exclaim at how much he loved me and how "perdy" I was.  
It was hard not to think pretty highly of myself because he showered me with such easy praise.  :)

One of my favorite stories though is when he showed me this picture of his grandma Vilborg and told me I looked just like her.  I was 13 and it wasn't what a 13 year old girl wanted to hear.  I questioned his concept of beauty  :)  Now that I can look past the hair style and the stern look on her face, I see that she wasn't as unattractive as I remembered when I was 13...and maybe the name Vilborg was very much in style in 1855 Iceland.  Who knows.  


Anyway, happy birthday to my dad.  I am grateful for him and for the years I had with him in this life.  I look forward to seeing him again some day.  I look forward to seeing Vilborg in her prime.  Maybe we can chat about how cool it is that she was a leap year baby like my sister.  
As for topics to avoid...I think I'll keep to myself the hope that I age a little better than she did...



Life is good.

No comments: