Saturday, February 16, 2019

Like Father, Like Son

So, I've told you about Jake's sleep walking/sleep talking habits.  He's crazy.  And scary.  And he gets it from Mike.  When we were first married, and I was oblivious to his oddity, he woke up yelling about the spiders in the bed.  I jumped out of bed, heart pounding, and turned on the light looking for the spiders.  I hate spiders and I was terrified that we were sleeping in a nest of spiders.  I couldn't see any, and by the time I got my wits about me, I looked over to find that Mike was fast asleep.  I wondered what the heck was going on and it took me a long time to settle back down and fall asleep myself.  I asked him about it in the morning and he had no memory of any of it.
Sure enough, as I told others about this story, they all said "oh yeah, Mike does stuff like that all the time".
Mike's dad told me of nights that he'd come home off the night shift to find Mike wandering around the house doing strange things, only to find out he wasn't aware of what he was doing.  I guess he'd think he was peeing in the bathroom, but it was the kitchen sink, or a potted plant.  Umm...yeah...I married that.

As for sleep talking, he doesn't do it all the time, but when he does, it's hard for me to realize that he's not really aware of what he's saying because he seems so obviously awake.
Last night, Mike fell asleep hours before anyone else in the house.  He had just came home from a business trip, so he was pretty tired.  I came into the room to go to bed and he sat up and called my name.  I went to see what he needed and here's what followed...

Mike: That medicine is messing with my feet.

Me:  What medicine?

Mike:  The medicine that the kids gave me tonight.  My feet are all numb.  See that? (as he tries to show me his feet)

Me: Are you really awake?  Do you know what you're talking about?

Mike:  Yes, I'm awake.  That medicine is messing with my feet.  They're all numb and it's going all the way up my legs.

Me:(starting to get nervous)  What medicine are you talking about?  Why would the kids give you medicine?  What kid gave you medicine?

Mike:  It's the kind that you need for um...I can't think of what it's called.  But I took some medicine and now I can't feel my feet.

Me:  Why did you take medicine?  Was it cold medicine or Imodium or what?  Why would the kids be giving you medicine?

Mike:  It was like cold medicine, but for your feet, and now they're all numb.  Like that feeling when you can't walk because your feet are all numb.  I can't walk.  It's all tingly.

Me:  I think you're asleep.  What kind of medicine is for a cold and your feet?  (starting to laugh)

Mike: I'm awake.  I just can't think of the words.

It went on and on like that for a minute.  I suspected that he was asleep, but at the same time, I was worried...what if he had taken some medicine that the kids had given him.  It was a long time until he came to awareness and he didn't really know what I was talking about.  It must have been some sort of a dream that he was having.  I've been laughing over the "it's like cold medicine, but for your feet" comment all day.

No comments: