This is hard for me. Since the quarantine, I've tried to make the kids carry more of a load around here. I found that I was working all day long. First, to help them with their school work, and then when they were finally done, I was cooking or catching up on laundry or one of the other things I usually do during the day while they are at school. It was overwhelming to feel like my time was never my own anymore. When asked to clean up a mess, the first words out of some of their mouths was "it's not mine!" Or, they'd say "sure" and then forget about it.
Then one day, as Nathan was asking me to play catch and Jason was asking me to play Monopoly, I decided that if they weren't busy, and I was overly busy, I needed to make them a little more busy and me a little less busy. I made lists and charts and things that they had to get done before they could have electronics. That worked for a minute.
Then, the sun came out. The drive to be inside on electronics wasn't strong anymore and now they scurry off to play in the sunshine. I love that they are outside, but I don't love that I get left to look at the messes they don't clean up inside.
We're going to find a balance one of these days. Until then, I guess I get to look at the mess because I refuse to clean it up. It's "not mine".
No comments:
Post a Comment