The next place we stayed for the night was a residential RV park. They had a spot open and although it's only for people who stay 30 days at a time, Mike found a way to get us in. It was within biking distance to a Rite-Aid and a dollar store, so I took the kids on a bike ride there to pick up some motion sickness medicine for the boat ride the next day. When we got back, Mike took them all for a bike ride to the docks to watch the sun set.
We were one bike short so Charlie and I were on foot. He was totally disappointed that the kids soon outpaced us. I'm sure he was dying because he wanted to run and catch up leash free. Instead, we walked as fast as we could and soon passed a pretty sketchy part of town complete with a pot store, laundromat, and a liquor store. There were all kinds of people hanging out making drug deals and such. I got officially creeped out and called Mike to tell him we'd just walk back to the Leprechaun and miss the beach view. I was wishing Charlie were a bit bigger with gnarly teeth.
It's so weird. I've walked alone many places in the world and this was actually one of the only times and places that I felt unsafe.
The next day as we talked to the locals, they said it's sad how bad that part of town has gotten. Huge homeless population and lots of drugs and crime.
Anyway, Mike and the kids had a fun adventure. They couldn't find access to the docks, so they tossed bikes over a fence and booked it through someone's back yard. They could hear kids playing Mario Kart in the house. Jason and Allie were sure they were going to be arrested. :)
They made it to the docks and saw the beautiful sunset and then made it back...all of them breathless with the adventure of it all.
We slept well, looking forward to fishing in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment