Friday, May 22, 2020

Glass Beach


On Wednesday, Mike decided that now was the perfect time to go on a vacation.  Things were still relatively slow with work and the kids were finished with all the stuff they had to turn in for school.  He also had to be in Boise in the beginning of the week for work, so it seemed like a good time to get in the Leprechaun and take off for a scenic drive.
I had book club the night before we left, so I didn't do very much to pack up until the friends left.  Then, I started loading up things and finished in time to catch some sleep.  We left as soon as we could get underway and drove through Elko and on through Reno the first night.  We stopped in a church parking lot when it got dark and had a nice sleep.  The next day, we put Fort Bragg, California into the GPS and drove through beautiful countryside for another hour or two.  The farm land was amazing.  Fruit trees, grape vines, and beautiful rolling hills made for an amazing scene.  

We rolled into town and then saw a sign for Glass beach.  I had heard of it before, so we went to check it out.  It was a good point to stop and stretch our legs.






I have heard that there used to be a lot more glass at the beach, but it was still fun to walk around and look at the beautiful water and sand rubbed pieces of colorful rounded glass.

Charlie saw lots of things he wanted to chase, but the feel of the sand and glass on his feet scared him to death, so we had to hold him till he got used to it.  



After exploring for a minute, we saw sea lions sunning themselves on the rocks.  It was so funny to see the guy on the bottom of the picture frame try to get onto that rock awkwardly and then so gracefully swim in the water.  





It was a fun first stop.  I think we are always in awe and amazement at the power and majesty of the ocean.  It was certainly a great change from quarantined home.  :)

No comments: